Welcome to the Standards Solution blog! Here we’ll share our experiences, challenges, and insights in the age of the Common Core.

We’d love to hear about your experiences with the CCSS and PARCC assessments, too. Please feel free to leave comments. Thank you for reading and sharing.

Nov 20, 2015

I am thankful for….


When I was five years old, my mother took me to the local public school to enroll me in kindergarten. She told me we walked out of that big public school and I looked at her and said, "I'm not going to make any friends here." My sympathetic mother took me across the street and up the block to the small Lutheran school. A two-story brick building with red doors that, according to my mother, smelled like an old basement.

I had to be tested first, so the kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Babcock, came downstairs to get me and took me up to her classroom. I don't remember what happened up there, but my mother says I came downstairs holding Mrs. Babcock's hand and smiling. I had found my school.

I went to Eltingville Lutheran from kindergarten through eighth grade and graduated as valedictorian on June 26, 1996. I am grateful for my time there, as it was there that I discovered my love of learning and realized that I wanted to be a teacher (in kindergarten!). I remember all of my teachers, all of their different personalities, all of the fun events, like the Thanksgiving Day Feast, Father-Daughter dances, bake sales (where Mrs. Green, my third grade teacher, came in with a roll of quarters and gave students who forgot their money fifty cents each, enough to buy two treats), all the plays, the poetry recital, my middle school teachers asking me to tutor the other kids in Spanish and math. I remember how all the teachers knew every student and their parents and how we could tell they truly cared about us. While I went on to get a bachelor of science in elementary education, it was at Eltingville Lutheran School on Staten Island that I discovered what it means to be a teacher. I will be forever grateful for all the teachers and friends that I met there and for everything I learned there. I believe I am the person I am today in part because of Eltingville.

Judy Cataldi

----------------------------------------------------------------------

When I think about education, there are so many things I am thankful for: my parents, who were educators themselves, the many teachers I had over the years who shaped me into who I am today, and the students I had in my classroom, who taught me as much as I taught them.

Today, though, I am thankful for the enthusiasm and commitment of young teachers! My daughter Hailey, a fourth grader, has a young and new-to-the-classroom teacher for math this year. In the short time since the school year began, Hailey has benefited from this teacher’s enthusiasm and commitment to education in so many ways. Math is not one of Hailey’s favorite subjects, but since this teacher is young and enthusiastic, Hailey connects with her more, making math a little more tolerable. I can tell this teacher truly cares about Hailey’s success. She has been instrumental in helping Hailey stay organized. She has provided extra support and even extra credit opportunities for Hailey when needed. And she has maintained an excellent level of communication with me, letting me know not only her concerns about Hailey’s progress, but also Hailey’s successes in the classroom.

My hope for this teacher is that her enthusiasm and commitment to education do not fade over the years, but only continue to blossom. Students benefit from teachers of all ages, who love what they do and demonstrate it through their actions with students and parents.
Jennifer Caldwell

----------------------------------------------------------------------

In seventh grade I tried out for the school basketball team. I was tall, fast, and possibly the worst player that ever tried getting a ball to go through a hoop. On the day when the team lineup was announced, I was sitting in English class preparing for a writing conference with Ms. Smith. Over the loudspeaker the coach called those who tried out down to the gymnasium. I didn’t make it. When I returned to class it was my turn to meet with Ms. Smith about my latest essay. She asked me if I made the team. I mumbled a plaintive “no.” Calmly, she said, “That’s all right.” And then she pointed her pen toward my paper, looked at me, and nodded, as if to say, “But you have this.”

At the time, though I perceived her gesture, I’m not sure that I fully appreciated what Ms. Smith had done. Years later I realized that her tacit encouragement, just a simple glance and nod, was possibly the most formative experience of my writing life.
Jim Ambrosky

----------------------------------------------------------------------

A great teacher can make all the difference in a child’s life, and the child can make a difference in the teacher’s as well. My daughter has grown very attached to quite a few of her teachers. She often visits them and thanks them for showing her strategies that she now applies in her daily learning. One teacher in particular had every student in class make a book of all the lessons they did. Every day, she had them tape that day’s lesson into a composition book. Grace was not a fan of this—the tape needed to be applied in a very specific way. Grace didn’t see how the book served a purpose. After all, she’s in eight grade and knows everything. So this book became a Bible for this class with all its notes very neatly organized. It made studying much easier as every lesson was in one spot. Grace still had difficulty admitting it was helpful. Now three years later my youngest son, Billy, has the same teacher. One time, he was complaining to Grace about having to make the book. I overheard Grace telling Billy that she now finds the book very helpful, she used it to do her summer math packet and that she applies the concept to other studies as well.

Alice Maxton

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I grew up in a rural area of southwestern PA and had learning disabilities that weren’t diagnosed until I was in sixth grade, which by then I had learned on my own how to compensate for. In high school I was told by my guidance counselor that I wasn’t smart enough to get into college! I earned an associate's degree with a B+ average from art school, and am now back for my bachelor's in fine art with a current 4.0 GPA at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh. 

I am thankful that my daughter has teachers who are more open to the fact that she might have dyslexia. I had noticed signs early on when she was spending time with me when I was a stay-at-home mom. Many people are upset with the No Child Left Behind, PARCC testing, and other programs. If it wasn't for these programs for the last four years my daughter wouldn't have had school supplies, backpacks, school lunches, preschool or even her first year of kindergarten with caring teachers who cried when she relocated. The world of education is ours if we just embrace it. My principals in both elementary and high school made me understand that we should never take for granted access to a free education. I have passed that along to my daughter who has loved going to school every day since she was three.

Jennifer L. Stevens

----------------------------------------------------------------------

As a new mom, I realized dropping your child off at daycare is no easy feat. I had a bad case of the “mommy guilts.” In the beginning most days my daughter would have a death grip on me as the daycare teacher would gently try to pry her off me, saying, “It’s okay. Mommy has to go to work.” Then I would walk down the hall, which seemed to get longer and longer with the echoing of my daughter’s cries of “Mommy.” It is the ultimate walk of shame. I felt terrible…

After that, all day at work I felt anxious…is she still crying, is she upset, is she sad…

But I guess that is par for the course in the daycare world because the teachers at my daughter’s daycare always find clever ways to make that morning goodbye a good experience and fill her day with activities and learning.

My separation anxiety in those first few months was eased by those wonderful teachers. Now when I drop my daughter off, she runs to the window to watch mommy’s car pull away, and when I pick her up, she runs into my arms, showing me a picture she colored or telling me about what she did that day. I might still secretly wish that I could spend all day with her, but knowing she’s being nurtured and comforted makes my day a whole lot better. I can’t thank the teachers at my daughter’s daycare enough for giving her a warm, safe, learning environment and making her mommy feel a few less “guilts.”
Michaela Szidloski